Compulsory Basic Training (CBT)

If you only have a provisional licence or if you passed your car driving test after 1 February 2001, you must complete CBT before you can ride a moped, scooter or motorcycle on the road.

The instructor will assess how you ride to make sure you're safe to ride on the road. Once you've achieved the required standard you'll be issued with a certificate of completion.

Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) has 5 elements:

  • introduction and eyesight check
  • practical on-site training
  • practical on-site riding
  • practical on-road training
  • practical on-road riding

You then have 2 years to pass your full motorcycle test or you’ll have to take CBT again.


  • After completing CBT you can ride a moped or a motorbike up to 125cc and with a power output of up to 11kW (or up to 50cc if you're 16). Although, you must use L plates (L or D plates in Wales) until you pass your full motorcycle test and you can't carry any passengers
  • You can then work towards your full moped (AM) or motorcycle (A1, A2, or A) licences

You can contact your nearest Approved Training Body (ATB) for availability and prices by clicking here.

When you don’t need to take CBT

You don’t need to take CBT to ride a moped up to 50cc if you passed your car driving test before 1 February 2001. However, you’ll still need to complete CBT to ride a motorbike over 50cc.